Arguably the most popular video streaming service at the moment, Netflix is known for its vast collection of thousands of movies and series, not to mention its Originals. But despite its popularity, there are many who are just dipping their toes into this vast ocean of content. Many questions fill their mind – How does registration work? What is the difference between all these plans? Is it worth the cost? Here we answer all these questions to help you decide whether you should get that Netflix subscription.
Originally starting out as a DVD rental service in 1997, Netflix added streaming to its services in 2007 and that has remained its primary feature ever since. Now Netflix has over 137 million subscribers worldwide, and the numbers only keep growing. Netflix is targeting there next 100 million customers from India and thus have started significant investments in Indian Original Movies & TV Shows.
Netflix subscription plans start at Rs.500 per month for a Basic plan. There are three plans – Basic Plan, Standard Plan and Premium Plan.
- Rs. 500 per month.
- All movies and series are available.
- Can watch on 1 screen at the same time.
- HD and Ultra HD not available.
- Rs. 650 per month
- All movies and series are available
- Simultaneously watch on 2 screens
- HD is available, but Ultra HD is not
- Rs. 800 per month
- All movies and series are available
- Simultaneously watch on 4 screens
- HD and Ultra HD are available
- Netflix itself gives the first month of every subscription free, for any plan.
- Offers with Airtel
- Airtel Postpaid customers get free 3 months Netflix subscription. Only those customers are eligible who are subscribed to plans upwards of Rs 499. (User will have to update to the latest to get the latest offer)
- Airtel V-Fiber Broadband users, who have Rs 999 and above plans also get free 3-month Netflix offer.
- Airtel postpaid and V-Fiber Home Broadband plans signup to Netflix using Airtel TV or MyAirtel App and the subscription price will be added in their Airtel Bill (post above 3 months free plan)
- Offers with Vodafone
- 2 months of free Netflix subscription for Vodafone RED postpaid subscribers for plans priced at Rs 999 and Rs1299
- The Rs1999 plan gives 3 free months
- Rs 2999 plan gives 1 year free Netflix subscription
- Those using a Samsung Galaxy S9 or S9+ along with a Vodafone postpaid SIM card also get the free 1-year Netflix subscription
- You can also benefit off of Netflix Standard and Premium account features, which enables one account to be used on two screens at the same time. This essentially allows two users to use the same account while being able to play without interruption at the price of Rs.325 per person or Rs.400 per person, which is still cheaper than the Basic package for one person. This can also be used with the Premium plan with four people, with only Rs.200 monthly each.
- Hathaway Subscribers – Hathaway is one of the leading internet cable broadband providers in India. They are launching a setup box which will be bundled with high-speed fibre cable internet monthly plans. This set-top box will come with a remote having a dedicated Netflix button. Users can launch Netflix with the click of a button and the subscribers can pay for Netflix subscription through their Hathaway bill.
How to Subscribe
- Go to the website at www.netflix.com/in
- Click on the ‘Join Free for a month’ button
- Select your preferred plan
- Enter your email and password
- Select your payment method and enter payment details
This will initialize the free 1-month trial. You will be reminded three days before the trial ends, after which you may cancel your subscription or the fees will automatically be deducted from your account.
Netflix is compatible on –
- Android, Apple and Windows smartphones
- Smart TVs like Sony, Samsung, Sharp, LG, etc.
- Apple TV
- Gaming consoles like PS3, PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360.
- Bluray players
- Set-top boxes
The Netflix UI is simple and efficient. There are buttons to skip forward and backwards by ten seconds, tabs to select audio and subtitles, and tabs to skip intros and episodes. There’s also the ability to rate, share, add to list and download videos to watch them later offline. Netflix has a separate section for Kids named as – Netflix Kids. Users can create a separate account for kids which will restrict adult content for that user and also showcase content which kids will love to watch.
Netflix Original & Non-Original Content
Netflix has a huge arsenal of content including Movies, TV Series and Documentaries of all genres and age groups. Along with buying content hosting rights from production houses, Netflix has been generating original content since 2007, starting from the series “House of Cards”. Netflix Originals recently debuted in India with the controversial yet loved series “Sacred Games” and a long list of movies and tv shows are expected in the coming year.
Here is a few list of Netflix Collections worth exploring.
- Upcoming Netflix Original TV Series – Hollywood
- Upcoming Netflix Original Movies – Hollywood
- Upcoming Netflix Original TV Shows from India
- Upcoming Netflix Original Movies from India
- Radhika Apte Movies & Series on Netflix
- List of Indian Stand Up Comedies on Netflix
- A Complete list of Indian Netflix Original Movies & TV Shows
- Emmy Awards – An Indian Watchlist
Netflix Subscription Cancellation
Cancellation is pretty straightforward. Simply click on the “Cancel Membership” button on the Account page.
Netflix – Pros and Cons
- A great amount of varied content.
- Easy-to-use features that are simple to understand.
- ‘Download’ feature allows you to download videos to watch them later.
- Considerably more expensive than other streaming services, like SonyLIV(Rs.99 per month) and Amazon Prime(Rs.129 per month).
While Netflix is expensive compared to other streaming services, it has enough content to make up for it. So you should subscribe to Netflix if
- You binge-watch a considerable amount of shows and you want to do so without interruption.
- You can split the Premium subscription cost between three friends to reduce your monthly payment to Rs.200.
- You like the original content and want to watch it the moment it is released.