Arguably the most popular video streaming service at the moment, Netflix is known for its vast collection of thousands of movies and series, not to mention its Originals. But despite its popularity, there are many who are just dipping their toes into this vast ocean of content. Many questions fill their mind – How does registration work? What is the difference between all these plans? Is it worth the cost? Here we answer all these questions to help you decide whether you should get that Netflix subscription. So sit back, relax and get ready for some ‘Netflix and Chill’.
What is Netflix?
Originally starting out as a DVD rental service in 1997, Netflix added streaming to its services in 2007 and that has remained its primary feature ever since. Probably the leading streaming service in the world, Netflix has over 137 million subscribers worldwide, and the numbers only keep growing. Netflix is targeting there next 100 million customers from India and thus have started significant investments in Indian Original Movies & TV Shows.
What Will I Get With Netflix Subscription?
A Netflix subscription can give you access to the whole catalogue of Netflix. But, there’s a catch. Netflix has some exclusive features that it gives to only a particular Netflix subscription plan members. Take a look at what Netflix has to offer you with its 3 subscription plans.
Access To Netflix Originals
With any of the 3 subscription plans, you can stream any Netflix Original that is available on the Netflix site.
Access To Ad-Free Streaming
All 3 Netflix subscription plans offer Ad-Free streaming for seamless user experience.
Netflix Subscription Plans Fee
|Plans —>||Netflix Basic||Netflix Standard||Netflix Premium|
|Pricing||Rs 500/month||Rs 650/month||Rs 800/month|
|Access to Movies & TV shows||Unlimited Access||Unlimited Access||Unlimited Access|
|Netflix Originals||Unlimited Access||Unlimited Access||Unlimited Access|
|Offline Download||On 1 device||On 2 devices||On 4 devices|
|HD Picture Quality||SD||SD & HD||SD, HD, and Ultra HD|
|Concurrent Streaming||No||2 screens at a time||4 screens at a time|
What Content Does Netflix Offer?
Netflix has a huge arsenal of content including Movies, TV Series and Documentaries of all genres and age groups. Along with buying content hosting rights from production houses, Netflix has been generating original content since 2007, starting from the series “House of Cards”. Since then, it has produced more than 1000 Netflix Originals. In India, Netflix Originals debuted with the controversial yet loved series “Sacred Games” and a long list of movies and tv shows are expected in the coming year.
Netflix offers you one of the biggest and most diverse catalogues of movies which you can stream at any time and anywhere. From Hollywood gems like ‘Gravity’ to the Bollywood Masterpieces like ‘Masaan’, Netflix has a movie for every mood. Netflix movies span through an array of genres including comedy, thrillers, adult/sex, drama and crime.
Popular Netflix Movies
- Fast & Furious
- Marvel Avengers
Netflix TV Shows
For all the TV shows lovers out there, Netflix is a fantasy land which offers a huge library of TV shows from different countries, cultures, genres, and stories. You will find some of the most popular TV shows here like Sherlock, Suits, Breaking Bad, Shark Tank, and Limitless. For the Indian Audience, Netflix has some nice picks including Yeh Meri Family, Anjaan, Zindagi Gulzar Hai, and 21 Sarfarosh.
Popular Netflix TV Shows
- Breaking Bad
- Rick and Morty
- Yeh Meri Zindagi
Netflix Originals are widely popular and most awaited content on the platform. Over the years, Netflix has increased the number of originals that they release on their platform, courtesy of International expansion. Some of Netflix Originals have been highly appreciated and awarded with prestigious awards like Emmy, Golden Globe, and Oscar. With. Indian Audience has vividly enjoyed some of the Netflix Originals like Sacred Games and Ghoul,
Popular Netflix Originals
- House Of Cards
- Bird Box
- Sacred Games
Here are a few more lists of Netflix Collections worth exploring.
- Upcoming Netflix Original TV Series – Hollywood
- Upcoming Netflix Original Movies – Hollywood
- Upcoming Netflix Original TV Shows from India
- Upcoming Netflix Original Movies from India
- Radhika Apte Movies & Series on Netflix
- List of Indian Stand Up Comedies on Netflix
- A Complete list of Indian Netflix Original Movies & TV Shows
- Emmy Awards – An Indian Watchlist
Can I Get Netflix Subscription For Free?
Airtel is offering Netflix subscriptions for free to its Postpaid and V-Fiber Broadband Users. Check them out.
- Airtel Postpaid customers with recharge plans above Rs 499 and above are eligible.
- Airtel V- Fiber Broadband users with recharge plan of Rs 999 and above are eligible.
- All eligible Airtel Postpaid customers will get 3 months Netflix subscription for free.
- All eligible Airtel V-Fiber Broadband users will get 3 months Netflix subscription for free.
- You need to download or update to the latest My Airtel or Airtel TV app.
- Sign Up to Netflix using the Airtel TV or My Airtel app.
- Your offer period will begin and subscription price will be added in the Airtel Bill (after the 3 months)
Vodafone is offering multiple Netflix subscriptions for free to its users. Check the details below to see whether you’re eligible or not.
- Vodafone Red Postpaid subscribers with recharge plans of Rs 499, Rs 1299, Rs 1999, Rs 2999 are eligible.
- Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ users with a Vodafone Postpaid sim are also eligible.
- Eligible users with recharge plans of Rs 999 and Rs1299 will get 2 months of free Netflix subscription.
- Eligible users with recharge plans of Rs1999 plan will get 3 months of free Netflix subscription.
- Eligible users with recharge plans of Rs2999 plan will get 1 Year of free Netflix subscription.
- Eligible Samsung Galaxy S9 /S9+ users will get 1 Year of free Netflix subscription.
- If you’re a new Vodafone user, then you need to purchase the Vodafone Red postpaid plan of Rs 399 or above. You’ll automatically get the Prime membership at no extra cost.
- If you’re an already existing Vodafone Red user of Rs 399 or above plan, then download or update to the latest Vodafone Play app. Open it, and tap on the Prime Video promotional banner.
Does Netflix Offer Free Trial?
Netflix offers a free trial for 30 days to every new user which provided access to Netflix’s complete catalogue. Though you have to enter the payment details and once the trial period gets over, you will be charged automatically.
Can I Rent Movies On Netflix?
No. Currently, Netflix doesn’t offer any rental service to any of its content.
How Can I Subscribe To Netflix?
- Go to the website at www.netflix.com/in
- Click on the ‘Join Free for a month’ button.
- Select your preferred plan.
- Enter your email and password.
- Select your payment method and enter payment details.
This will initialize the free 1-month trial. You will be reminded three days before the trial ends, after which you may cancel your subscription or the fees will automatically be deducted from your account.
Who Are Alternatives And Competitors Of Netflix?
Netflix was ruling the Digital Media Streaming market for a long time because of no other significant competition. But with time, other prominent competitors and potential alternatives of Netflix have emerged. Amazon Prime Video is one of them. In this section, we’ll take a look at all the other available VOD Platforms and how does Netflix compare to them.
Amazon Prime offers Prime membership at a similar price, and also offers useful services on the Amazon store – such as free and fast delivery. It lets the user stream their content across Bollywood, Regional, Original and Foreign movies, TV shows and music on various devices and with good streaming features. Their Original collection is impressive as well and includes shows such as Comicstaan and Inside Edge.
Hulu is an American Video-On-Demand service which features 60+ live TV channels with the feature to record the episodes as well. You can enjoy a huge library of movies, Hulu Originals and popular TV shows like South Park, Seinfeld, Law and Order, and The Tonight Show.
Being a collaboration between Sony and Warner Bros., HOOQ has a vast array of most popular and refreshing movies and TV shows. HOOQ features over 10000 movies including TV shows Flash, Legends Of Tomowwor, and Arrow.
Another major competition of Netflix is Hotstar with competitive pricing, various genres of content including sports, TV shows and movies. Hotstar ranks as one of the best streaming services in India and is capable to provide some competition to Netflix.
Youtube also has some free and paid uploaded movies. The cost of paid films is as low as ₹25. These videos can be streamed on the Youtube app itself. It is a good choice for users who know exactly which films they want to watch.
Take a look at the following comparison to understand how Netflix stands in front of its competition.
|Subscription Plan Details||Netflix Subscription||PrimeVideo Subscription||Hooq Subscription||Hotstar Subscription||AltBalaji Subscription||SonyLIV Subscription||Zee5 Subscription||ErosNow Subscription||Hungama Play Subscription||Voot Subscription||Vodafone Play Subscription||Airtel TV Subscription||Viu Subscription||HoiChoi Subscription|
|Free Trial or
|1 month||No||30-day free trial on adding a recurring payment method||7 days||First 3 episodes of every TV Series||Selected Content is Free||No free trial period, Some Content is Free||14 days free premium trial, Some Content is Free forever||You can view a 10-minute preview of every movie and TV series||Free||Unlimited Free for Selected Prepaid and Postpaid Customers||Unlimited Free for Selected Prepaid and Postpaid Customers||30 days free||No Free Trial|
|Monthly Plan||INR 500 (1 User)
INR 600 (2 Users)
INR 800 (4 Users)
|INR 129||INR 89||INR 199||–||INR 99||INR 99 (All Access Pack)
INR 49 (Regional Pack)
|INR 49 (Plus)
INR 99 (Premium)
|INR 99||Free||–||–||INR 99 for 2 months||N/A|
|3-Month Plan||–||–||–||–||INR 100||INR 149||–||–||INR 249||Free||–||–||–||N/A|
|6-Month Plan||–||–||–||–||–||–||INR 599 (All Access Pack)||–||Free||–||–||INR 299||N/A|
|Yearly Plan||–||INR 999||INR 450||INR 999
INR 299 (All Sports Plan)
|INR 300||INR 499||INR 999 (All Access Pack)
INR 499 (Regional Pack)
|INR 470 (Plus)
INR 950 (Premium)
|INR 799||Free||–||–||INR 599||INR 999 for 3 years
INR 399 for 1 year
|Simultaneous Streaming||1 to 4 Users||Unlimited||5 Devices||1 User||5 Devices||1 User||5 Devices||1 Device||1 Device||Unlimited||–||–||5 Devices||1 User|
|Premium Features||Unlimited Access, HD & UHD Streaming||Unlimited Access to PrimeVideo, PrimeMusic & Kindle e-Books,
|Unlimited Access, Download & Offline Viewing, Few Rental Movies Only||Unlimited Access, Live TV & Sports||Unlimited Access, Offline download||Live TV, Ad-free viewing
|Unlimited Access, Live TV, Ad Free Streaming,
|Plus – Unlimited access to Movies
Premium – Unlimited Access to Movies, TV Shows & Originals, Offline Download
|Unlimited Access, Ad-Free Viewing, Offline Download, Originals||NA||Free 1 year Amazon Prime & 2,3,12 months Netflix Subscription||Offline Download, Selected content of Zee5
Free 3 months Netflix & 1 year Amazon Prime Subscription
|Ad-free streaming, Unlimited access, Offline Download||Ad free streaming, Unlimited access, offline download|
|Offers||Free subscription for selected Airtel & Vodafone Users||Free for selected users of BSNL, Airtel & Vodafone||First 90 days for INR 89 for recurring payment method, 1 free movie rental ticket per month||Some content on Airtel TV & JioCinema; 1 year free on Flipkart First for 50 coins||Free for Selected users of Airtel, Jio & Vodafone||30% cashback through PayTM, 3-month free subscription fro Sony Bravia TV & Mi TV buyers||Selected free content for Airtel TV & JioCinema; 50% Cashback with Paytm||Free for selected users of Airtel, Vodafone & Jio Users||3-month free subscription for Mi TV users & Cloud TV X2 users. 60% off for ACT Fibrenet users.||NA||NA||NA||3 months free subscription for ‘Flipkart Plus members||Airtel and Vodafone Idea users can stream come content for free|
|Service & Content Type||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Kids, Originals||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Kids, Originals||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Live TV, Sports & News , Regional Content||Original TV Series, Movies & TV Shows||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Originals, Live TV & Sports||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Originals, Live TV||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Originals||On-Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Originals||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Originals, Live TV||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Originals of ErosNow & AltBalaji||On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows
Originals of ErosNow, AltBalaji, Live TV
|On Demand Streaming, Movies, TV Shows, Originals||On Demand Streaming, Bengali Movies, TV Shows, Kids, Originals, Music|
|Data Usage per Hour||750 MB (HD)||925 MB (SD), 2.2 GB (HD), 6 GB (4K/UHD)||1.65 GB (HD)||1.3 GB(HD)||750 MB (SD)||1.9 GB (HD)||4.3 GB(HD)||400 MB (SD)||1.5 GB (HD)||350 MB (SD)||2 GB (HD)||2.2 GB (HD)||1.9 GB (HD)|
What Are The Features Of Netflix?
A huge quality content library is not the only plus point of Netflix. Along with a plethora of content, Netflix also offers a good User Experience to its subscribers on its platform. Whether its app or the website, most of the users feel comfortable while using and navigating through it. Similarly, there are many more features that Netflix has to offer to you.
An Elegant & Efficient UI: The Netflix UI is simple and efficient. There are buttons to skip forward and backwards by ten seconds, tabs to select audio and subtitles, and tabs to skip intros and episodes.
Offline Downloading: Once you’re a Netflix subscriber, you can enjoy your favourite movies or TV shows even without an active internet connection by downloading the content for offline streaming.
Parental Control: Netflix has a separate section for Kids named as – Netflix Kids. Users can create a separate account for kids which will restrict adult content for that user and also showcase content which kids will love to watch.
SD, HD & Ultra HD Picture Quality: Depending on your subscription plan, you can stream Netflix movies, TV shows, and originals in either Standard Quality, High Definition, or Ultra High Definition.
Multilingual Content: WIth Netflix, you can enjoy a plethora of content in foreign languages. Being a worldwide Digital media streaming service, Netflix offers content both in International languages and Regional languages as well.
Subtitles Availability: Netflix allows you to enable disable the subtitles, captions and alternate audio for many TV shows and Movies.
Search & Recommendation: You can search the movies or TV shows by their titles, people involved, or genres from the search feature. Netflix also recommends TV Shows and movies based on your watch history and preferences.
Add to ‘My List’: You can create and manage your own watchlist under the ‘My List’ section on Netflix. My List allows you to add your favourite Netflix movies and TV shows to your watchlist for easy access.
Which Devices Support Netflix?
Netflix is compatible on –
- Computer: Visit the Netflix website and start streaming.
- Android & iOS: Android, Apple and Windows smartphones.
- Smart TVs: Sony, Samsung, Sharp, LG, etc.
- Media Players: Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Roku TV
- Streaming Devices: Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick.
- Gaming consoles: PS3, PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U.
- Bluray players and set-top boxes
How Much Popular Netflix Is?
Play Store: Installs- 500,000,000+ | Rating- 4.4 by 62,78,665 Users.
App Store: Installs- N/A | Rating- 3.9 by 6.7K Users.
Content Languages: 12+ | English, Hindi, Spanish, Arabic, Japanese, Romanian, Greek, Portuguese and more.
Consumer Base: 148 million users worldwide | 139 million paid users.
Area Served: 190 countries.
Awards & Recognitions Of Netflix
- Three Netflix Originals earned a total of 14 nominations in Primetime Emmy Awards on July 18, 20133.
- Netflix’ House Of Cards and Orange is the New Black won Peabody Awards in 2013.
- Netflix received 31 Emmy nominations On July 10, 2014.
- In December 2017, Netflix was awarded PETA’s Company Of The Year for promoting animal rights movies and documentaries.
- On March 4, 2018, Netflix won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature for the film Icarus.
- Netflix broke HBO’s 17-year old record by becoming the most nominated network at 2018 Primetime and Creative Arts Emmy Awards with 112 nominations. As a former world record, HBO had 108 nominations.
- On February 24, 2019, Netflix won 6 Oscar awards from 29 nominations.
What’s Good and Bad In Netflix?
- A great amount of varied content.
- Easy-to-use features that are simple to understand.
- The Download feature allows you to download videos to watch them later.
- Considerably more expensive than other streaming services, like SonyLIV(Rs.99 per month) and Amazon Prime(Rs.129 per month).
Netflix Subscription – Is It Worth The Bucks?
While Netflix is expensive compared to other streaming services, it has enough content to make up for it. So you should subscribe to Netflix if:
- You binge-watch a considerable amount of shows and you want to do so without interruption.
- You can split the Premium subscription cost between three friends to reduce your monthly payment to Rs.200.
- You like the original content and want to watch it the moment it is released.
How To Cancel Netflix Subscription?
Cancellation is pretty straightforward. Simply click on the “Cancel Membership” button on the Account page.