What is Kanopy?
Have you heard of a streaming site that offers thousands of movies for free? Have you heard that you can watch movies with a library card? Probably not. How can so much be given away for free with just a library card? Well, it is true with Kanopy, and we are here to tell you everything about Kanopy.
Kanopy is a VOD for patrons of public libraries and university students. It provides a vast collection of award-winning and classic movies and documentaries for free. It is available in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Features Offered by Kanopy
These are some of the basic features that Kanopy offers:
- Limited player controls including playback speed adjustment, Fullscreen and Closed Captions.
- Addition of 3 to 20 movies per month depending on your library.
- 72 hours time to watch a movie after selecting it.
- Set up of parental controls using a 4-digit pin to restrict media viewed by younger children.
- Adding movies to your list, creating playlists and sharing links on social media.
Kanopy Premium Subscription
Kanopy subscription requires a library card number from one of the 4000 affiliated public libraries or campuses. It features 30,000+ movies and keeps on adding more content every day. Kanopy features:
- movies and documentaries
- videos associated with education, arts, business, health, global studies
- content distinguished by languages
- media and communications.
- Kids section brimming with fun and entertaining content.
Which Libraries are a part of Kanopy?
Over 4000 libraries are a part of this service. Kanopy provides free movies to the library cardholders and allows to create a list as well.
Content on Kanopy
Popular Independent Movies
- Lady Bird
- Eighth Grade
- What We Do in The Shadows
Popular Foreign Language Films
- Seven Samurai
- Cleo from 5 to 7
- A Man Called Ove
- Everyone Else
Popular Short Films
- The Phone Call
- The Silent Child
- The Door
- Tough Guise 2
- Who is Arthur Chu?
- Robert Scheer – Above the Fold
- The Great White Hoax
- Miss Representation
Popular TV Series
- Maison Close
- The Kingdom
Alternatives and Competitors to Kanopy
- Hoopla is a similar streaming service catering to library patrons. It provides music, movies and audiobooks for free.
- Other streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime boast an abundance of content and a better UI, though they are paid and expensive.
Kanopy Device Supportability
- Web browsers: Visit the website www.kanopy.com
- Android and iOS: Android devices(5.0 and later) and all Apple devices(iOS 9 and later)
- Amazon Firestick
- Apple TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Telstra TV
The Pros and Cons of Kanopy
- All of it is free for library card owners of over 4000 libraries and costs nothing
- Movies and Videos in Kanopy are perfectly categorized.
- There is even a section for LGBTQ movies.
- There is no way to subscribe or access any of the content of Kanopy if you don’t have a library card.
- Many libraries are not partnered with Kanopy. It may be downset for certain users.
- A library may restrict the access at 5 movies per month, inhibiting any binge-watching.
- Availability is restricted to the residents of the USA, the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
How Can I Subscribe to Kanopy?
- Go to www.kanopy.com
- Click on ‘Sign Up’ in the top right corner
- Enter your name, email and password and click on ‘Sign Up’
- Select your library from the approved list of libraries and enter your library card number
That’s it, you can now access the content on Kanopy! Bear in mind, the number of movies you can stream per month may be restricted depending on your library.
How to Cancel Kanopy Subscription
Since there is no cost subscription to cancel, you can delete your Kanopy account if needed by contacting the support staff at [email protected]