Amazon’s Movies and TV show streaming platform – Amazon Prime Video is the primary rival to Netflix nowadays. Offering affordable monthly and yearly subscription plans in India, it is the go-to choice for the audience because of its diverse content options and bundled plan with Amazon Free One-Day delivery. Prime Video supports multiple devices and is available in Standard Definition (SD), High Definition (HD) and 4k Ultra HD. Support for HDR is also available.
While streaming its content on phones, tablets and desktops can be done easily, the rivalry between Google and Amazon has meant restrictions & incompatibility when it comes to casting Amazon PrimeVideo on TV. Chromecast-ing does not come as easily to some Android devices. We have rounded up some options that let you stream Amazon Prime Video content on your TV screens, that will certainly make your life easier.
1. Using Amazon Fire TV Stick
Amazon’s answer to Chromecast is the Amazon Fire TV Stick, which is currently priced at Rs. 3,999 in India. In order to plug in the Fire TV Stick, you need to keep in mind the following specifications and steps. It is available in two options –
Amazon Fire Stick Specifications
- The device is compatible with an HD or Ultra HD TV with an HDMI port.
- Make sure to have a high speed Wifi internet connection to complete the setup process and subsequently stream content.
Steps to Setup Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Connect the Fire Stick Device using the given USB Power Cord. One end goes into the device while the other goes into the power adapter.
- The Fire Stick then has to be plugged into the HDMI port on your TV.
- After turning on the TV, select the HDMI input channel for the port. The Fire Stick Logo should come on the loading screen now.
- Insert AAA batteries into the Fire TV Voice Remote. The remote should pair up with the Fire Stick. If it doesn’t, use the ‘Discovery Mode’ to pair up by holding down the Home button for 10 seconds.
- Connect the Fire Stick to a Wifi Connection on the screen.
- Subsequently, register your device using your Amazon account.
- Your setup is completed. Now, you are free to access the Prime Video content.
Watch Amazon Prime on TV through Desktop or Laptop (via Chromecast)
Although Amazon Prime does not support Chromecast, there are ways to cast its content using the Google device.
In order to stream content on your TV via a desktop, you require a Chromecast device as well as a computer connected to the same Wi-Fi network that has the Google Chrome browser installed.
Step to setup Cast using Chromecast:
- Install or update to the latest version of Google Chrome on your computer from here.
- Connect your desktop or laptop to the WiFi network on which Chromecast is present.
- Switch to the tab which you want to Cast
- Click on the 3 dots at the top-right corner and select the ‘Cast’ option. From the popup that appears-
- Click on ‘Cast tab’ if you just want to only cast the current tab. The option is helpful if you want to keep the laptop independent and stream content in one tab. This is the most preferred option by users when watching with someone else.
- Click on ‘Cast desktop’ if you want to cast the whole screen and replicate whatever you see on your desktop. This option is generally helpful for personal use.
- Now select the Chromecast device of the TV on which you want to cast the content and you are ready to cast Amazon Prime videos onto your TV screen.
- You can select ‘Remote Screen’ next to where it is written ‘Show fullscreen videos on’. This will prevent the video from playing on both your desktop and Chromecast at the same time.
Watch Amazon Prime on TV through Android & iOS Phones-Tablets (via Chromecast)
On most Android/Apple models, you might be able to cast the phone screen to the TV using Chromecast. This can be done by following these steps:
- Install Google Home on your Android or Apple phone and run its guided setup.
- Android users can simply open the notification bar and click on the ‘Cast’ icon.
- Alternatively, open the Google Home App and click on Cast Screen/Audio.
- Choose the Chromecast device you want to cast on. This will replicate the whole screen instead of just a single app.
- Open the Amazon Prime Video app and select whichever video you want to stream. You might want to flip into landscape mode on your phone.
Stream Amazon Prime on TV through Amazon Fire Devices
Besides these, Amazon naturally offers supports on its own phones and tablet devices. Devices such as Fire phones, Fire HD and HDX tablets, Kindle Fire HDX 7 can use display mirroring via Miracast to cast the device screen on a TV. This can be done by going to the Settings option of the device and enabling screen mirroring in the ‘Display & Sounds’ section.
How to stream Amazon PrimeVideo on Smart TVs
In order to watch Amazon Prime Videos directly on a Smart TV – Android, Apple, Fire TV – you can simply download the Amazon Prime Video app and stream its content onto your TV. This option is available for game consoles and Blu-ray players too.
Steps to stream on Smart TVs:
- Download and install the Amazon Prime Video app from your TV’s app store.
- Sign in with your Amazon Prime account and membership details on the app.
- Access and stream Prime videos on your Smart TV directly.