Singapore-based HOOQ is a Video-On-Demand service across India, Philippines, Indonesia & Thailand. The Indian operations were launched in May 2015. From Hollywood, Bollywood and South East Asian content, HOOQ provides over 35,000 hours of entertainment to registered users. The streaming and downloading service is a collaboration between Sony Pictures, Warner Bros. and Singapore Telecom. For this reason, HOOQ boasts of same-day availability of episodes of US TV Shows, on the same day. Hooq doesn’t have any original content yet but is planning to launch an original mini-series about Philippines society.
Hooq Subscription Plans
HOOQ has two subscription plans – Monthly Subscription and Movie Rentals.
Hooq Monthly and Yearly Subscription Plans
The basic subscription plans are priced at Rs. 89 per month or Rs. 450/year. The payment for these plans can be done through Debit Card, Net Banking, Cash Card and Phone Carrier Billing (Only for Vodafone Customers). It gives access to 1000s of non-rental Movies and latest episodes of TV Shows. Do note that for the above one-time payment options, there is no free 30-day trial.
Offers on Hooq Subscription
HOOQ has a 30-day free trial available for all devices Desktop, Android and iOS. This free trial requires you to add a recurring payment method. For such plans users get the following benefits:
- First 90 days for INR 89 only (Instead of INR 89 per month)
- 1 blockbuster movie rental ticket every month
- INR 89 per month after the 3-month special offer
- The user will be charged after the free trial period is over.
- The above offer is valid for a limited time
The above offer is valid only if a recurring payment is used,
- Ola Money
- Credit Cards by Master Card and VISA
- iOS in-app purchase
For Philippines customers, there is a 7-day free trial.
Hacks to get Hooq plans at a cheaper price
Hooq gives 3 months’ subscription for INR 89 if it is the first payment via Credit Card (Mastercard or VISA), PayTM, Ola Money or iOS in-app purchase.
Users need to have an account on the above services and use one service for 3 months. Then, use any other service and pay via that. This way, a user can effectively use HOOQ subscription for a year and get 12 free movie rentals for as low as INR 356. This is the cheapest subscription you will ever find on any online platform. This hack offers a 20% discount over their yearly subscription which costs INR 450 per year.
How to get Hooq Subscription for Free
Users who have an Airtel, Vodafone or a Hotstar subscription can enjoy Hooq content for free. Also, users of ACT Fibernet also enjoy 2 months of free Hooq subscription.
- Airtel TV – Airtel Sim Card Holders have to download Airtel TV mobile app through which they can view the content of Hooq, ErosNow, AltBalaji, Zee5 and YouTube for free.
- Vodafone Play – Vodafone Sim Card Holders must download the Vodafone Play app and register with a Vodafone Number to access Hooq’s content on Vodafone Play App.
- ACT Fibernet plan – ACT FIbernet subscribers get 2 months free subscription. Post the free trial, the subscription will be charged at INR 79 per month and will be added to the ACT Fibernet bill.
- Hotstar – Users who have an active Hotstar subscription can also view Hooq’s content through the Hotstar app. No separate login required.
Movie Rentals on Hooq
Movie Rentals on HOOQ are priced at Rs. 59 per movie. For rental plans, the payment can be done only via Credit Cards. The subscription service on HOOQ is focused offers all the TV Shows but a select set of Movies. Blockbuster movies or the ones which are fresh out of theatres are available online on Hooq for rental. These early access rentals cost Rs. 59 per movie or one Movie ticket (if you have a voucher code or free package).
After renting the movie, a user can start watching the movie within 30 days before it expires. Once the user starts playing the movie, it has 48 hours to complete it. One rental movie can be streamed on only one device at a time.
Content on Hooq
- DC television shows – Super Girl, The Flash, DC Legends of Tomorrow and Lucifer
- All TV Shows from Sony Pictures & Warner Bros
- All Movies by Sony Pictures & Warner Bros
HOOQ has over 10,000 titles that primarily include some of the latest and most famous American TV Shows and Hollywood Movies. These include Arrow, The Flash, The Big Bang Theory, Lord of the Rings, Wonder Woman, Ocean’s 8 and the Harry Potter series to name a few.
Besides these, HOOQ has a number of hit Bollywood titles, both new and old, and popular Korean dramas as well.
Steps of Registration and Subscription
For free and paid trials, steps for registering and payment are below:
- Go to the HOOQ website – hooq.tv
- Click ‘Watch Now on HOOQ’ or Login.
- Sign up via an e-mail address or mobile number.
- A verification e-mail or OTP will be sent.
- After verification, on mobile – click on the ‘Me’ icon on the bottom right of the screen; On Desktop click on ‘Subscription’ > ‘Subscribe Now’.
- For the free trial, select a payment method that offers one. Click on ‘Start your Free Trial’ and then enter payment details before submitting through ‘Make Payment’. Follow the instructions. Once the free cycle is over, the user will be charged.
- For the paid subscription, after verification, Click on ‘Me’ > ‘Subscription’ > ‘Manage Subscription’. Choose payment methods, enter the details and start enjoying HOOQ.
Android and iOS
- Download and Install the HOOQ app from Google Play Store/iTunes Store
- Sign up by providing details such as country code, mobile number, email address, agree to the T & C and click on ‘Done’. Verify the OTP will be sent on the number & mail.
- After verification of the code, the user must enter their e-mail address and verify it as well.
- Afterwards, Click on the ‘Me’ icon at the upper-left corner. Select ‘Subscription’ > ‘Subscribe Now’.
- For the free trial, select a payment option that offers one. Start your trial by entering payment details and tapping on ‘Make Payment’. Follow further instructions. After the trial expires, the user will be charged.
- For the paid subscription, after selecting ‘Subscribe Now’,
- Android users – follow the prompts and instructions and enter payment details. Enjoy your recurring or one-time subscription.
- iOS users – Enter the Apple ID and password. The plan will be charged through the Apple account. This is an auto-renewed subscription. Confirm subscription by clicking on ‘Continue’.
Alternatives and Competitors
Some competitor streaming services provide low-cost alternatives with more titles. These include:
- Amazon PrimeVideo – Along with Prime Video services that let you access a range of Hollywood, Bollywood and Asian titles, their subscription also provides Amazon Prime delivery on their online store. Besides that, users gain access to free music and hit Amazon PrimeVideo Originals such as Comicstaan and Remix.
- Hotstar – Hotstar is a streaming giant that lets you access English movies, TV shows, as well as diverse Indian content. They also provide live streams of various sports matches, such as for cricket, hockey, badminton, football, kabaddi, etc.
- Netflix – Although more expensive, Netflix has excellent services and includes internationally renowned Originals, Foreign movies and TV shows, as well as Bollywood blockbusters.
Who Would Love HOOQ?
HOOQ would appeal to:
- Youngsters and fans of modern American TV Shows
- Hollywood lovers
- Female viewers who like classic K-dramas
Devices Supported by HOOQ
HOOQ provides simultaneous streaming for 5 devices at most, per account. Currently, supported devices include:
- iPads and iPhones above iOS 7.x
- Android phones and tablets (OS 4.1.x Jellybean and above)
- PCs and Mac browsers – Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari. Chromecast compatible
What’s good about Hooq
Hooq was namd the Best Mobile App at GSMA Global Mobile Awards in Media, Film, TV or Video Category in 2016
HOOQ has an interactive app that features some of the best American & Hollywood, Bollywood and Asian entertainment. Simultaneous streaming support, offline viewing and one-time rentals make it a unique platform.
- Same day availability of TV episodes as US timing
- 35,000 hours of Regional, Hollywood and native language titles in India and Southeast Asia.
- Popular movies, fresh out of the theatre, available on rentals @ just Rs. 59.
How to Cancel HOOQ Subscription
To cancel a HOOQ subscription, if paid via credit card or PayTM, one must first log in to the account from the app or website, select ‘Subscription’ and ‘Cancel Subscription’.
For iTunes payments, cancelling can be done via the iTunes account.
For ACT or Airtel payments, contact their customer service.