Hotstar is an Indian digital streaming platform launched by Star India. It is available in India, the United States & Canada and provides quality and high-definition video-on-demand services across various devices. The content offered includes over 50,000 hours of entertainment. Titles span across 9 languages – Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Bengali and Gujarati. Always up to date and consistent with the latest releases, Hotstar is famous for its quality collection of American TV Shows and Hollywood movies, Indian TV and a plethora of Bollywood films to choose from. Hotstar also provides online Sports Live Streaming for all major sports.
The main reasons to buy Hotstar subscriptions are-
- Stream live sports with no delay
- Watch American TV Shows within 24 hours of release in the US.
- TV Shows from HBO, ABC, Warner Bros and Sony Entertainment.
Subscription Plans on Offer
Although Hotstar has free content, most of its titles, especially English sitcoms and movies as well as latest Bollywood releases are available on a Premium membership.
Hotstar Premium Plan
The Premium membership is priced at INR 999 per year and INR 199 per month.
Only the INR 199 monthly plan comes with a 7-day trial. When choosing this plan, the user is charged immediately and if the plan is cancelled within 7 days, a full refund is issued. After that, if the user pays and cancels again in 7 days, the money is not refunded.
The plan lets users stream all premium titles, as well as Live Sports streaming. In addition to all of this, Premium members get early access to prime time TV shows at 6 pm daily. This is before they even air on television!
Hotstar All Sports Plan
The All Sports package comes at Rs. 299 yearly. The plan was introduced with the Vivo IPL 2018 and includes live streaming to all major sports including Cricket, Football, Tennis, Hockey, F1, etc. A small list of sports content available is –
Payment options on Hotstar
The payment for the monthly plan (INR 199 per month) can be done only through Credit cards of MasterCard and VISA.
The payment for the yearly plans (INR 299 & INR 999 per year) can be done through Credit or Debit cards of MasterCard and VISA, Netbanking, Paytm and UPI.
iOS users can now purchase the Hotstar plans by paying through iTunes as well.
How to Subscribe to Hotstar Subscription
Hotstar plans are recurring and therefore auto-renewed monthly or yearly, as per the plan. In order to avail the membership, follow these steps:
- Go to the Hotstar Website or App and choose a plan.
- Sign up with a valid e-mail id and password, or with a Facebook account.
- Enter payment details and confirm the payment.
Hacks to get Hotstar for Free
Airtel and Jio mobile users can stream live sports, prime-time episodes of TV shows and some Indian movies for free. Premium English content & Sports Channels is still paid for both Airtel & Jio Subscribers. Users will have to buy a Premium plan or Sports plan to avail these.
Flipkart Plus members can buy Hotstar Premium subscription for 12 months for just 50 coins. Go to the Flipkart Plus offer section and generate a Hotstar coupon code and claim it in Hotstar App. This limited offer can be claimed 2 times per member account.
Many banks host promotional cashback offers which can be searched on the internet. For eg. There was an offer in April 2018 where payments through CITI Bank Credit Cards get 100% cashback for 6 months Premium Membership
Features of Hotstar
Hotstar allows only single-video streaming from one account. Videos streamed are optimised to best quality; appropriate to the network or bandwidth available to the user. Browsing for titles is easy and an interactive UI ensures the Hotstar experience is high-quality. Premium subscription is ad-free.
Devices Supported by Hotstar
Hotstar currently supports the following devices and system requirements:
- Desktop: Microsoft Windows 7 or above, MAC OS 10.2 or above
Web browsers: Google Chrome version 49.x, Mozilla Firefox version 44.x, Safari version 9.1.x
- App: For Android devices with version 4.0 and above
iOS devices with version 9 and above
- It is Chromecast and Amazon Fire Stick friendly
- Also available on Android TV and Apple TV
Who Would Love Hotstar?
- Youngsters and fans of award-winning American shows, especially HBO originals and ABC Studios’ titles
- Middle-aged women who watch Indian TV serials and want a platform to catch up on episodes online
- Sports fanatics
- Fans of Bollywood and other major Regional Language Films
- Those who want to be able to stream live news and current affairs
Competitors of Hotstar
- Amazon PrimeVideo – A subscription to PrimeVideo not only provides access to diverse streaming content but also with it comes free a Prime Delivery membership of the online store. The collection of Bollywood, Hollywood and Foreign content on Prime is impressive and also includes a plethora of popular Original series’.
- Netflix – Netflix has costlier packages, however, the service is world-renowned for its interactive UI design, original series’ and the ever-increasing collection of International titles. It is consistent with releasing the latest Indian films as well.
- Spuul-Spuul only offers Indian content, but it is very user-friendly and has a downloading and offline viewing functionality within a limited file size. Bollywood movies, as well as regional language films, can be accessed. The collection includes a lot of Hindi classics.
Content Available on Hotstar
Hotstar has a variety of content that leaves the user spoilt for choice, especially in the Premium category.
The platform lets users stream episodes of Hindi and regional language shows (with early access) such as Yeh Hain Mohabbatein, Dance+, Kausauti Zindagi Kay, Nach Baliye, Saavdhaan India, Devon Ke Dev Mahadev, etc. Along with all Star channel TV shows, Hotstar in its English TV content provides access to original shows by HBO, Showtime, ABC Studios, FOXlife, Asianet and National Geographic. This vast collection includes popular American and award-winning titles such as Game of Thrones, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, Homeland, The Wire, Big Little Lies, Silicon Valley, Twin Peaks etc. Hotstar has partnered content with HOOQ.
The movie section comprises of 8 major language movies. Popular Bollywood content includes Two States, Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, Talvaar, Pink, Highway, Phillauri, etc. Hollywood movies such as Maze Runner, The Greatest Showman, Star Wars series, The Shape of Water, Coco, Thor, the X-Men series are also available under Premium membership.
Sports videos include live-streaming as well as highlights of popular sports such as cricket, kabaddi, football, badminton, F1, etc.
- Cricket: Vivo IPL, Asia Cup, India vs WI, NZ vs India, and more
- Football: Premier League, Bundesliga, ISL and more
- Kabaddi: Pro Kabaddi, Kabaddi Nationals
- Tennis: Wimbledon, French Open, US Open among others
- Others: Formula 1, Badminton World Championships among others
Besides all of this, Hotstar provides live news, headlines of the day and categorised news from TV channels such as Republic TV, Aaj Tak, ABP News, News Nation, Fox, India Today, etc.
How to Cancel Hotstar Subscription
In order to cancel a Hotstar membership, go to the ‘My Account’ page on the website, and click on ‘cancel Membership’. Membership will continue for the current billing cycle, and will be cancelled from the next billing period. To cancel the subscription in iTunes, users will have to go and remove the subscription from iTunes panel.