Amazon Prime Monthly Membership now available at Rs. 129 per month
In a not so loud announcement, Amazon has launched a monthly subscription of its premium offering Amazon Prime for just Rs. 129 per month on 21 June 2018. Earlier, this offering was only available as a yearly subscription at Rs. 999 per year. The monthly option will be helpful for those who have a movie in mind which is available only on Amazon PrimeVideo or for those who want to try out Amazon Free Fast Delivery before subscribing yearly to it. Amazon Prime offers a gamut of services as follows –
- Free Fast Delivery Options – One-day & Two-day delivery options in ‘Prime’ Cities (in 100 Cities) only on ‘Prime’ Products. For ‘non-prime’ Cities, members will get discounted standard delivery and discounted same-day delivery with no minimum purchase.
- Prime Now – Prime members also get 2-hours express delivery in select pin-codes in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad with the Prime Now App
- 30-minutes early access to Lightning Deals, every day
- Exclusive deals from brands, sellers or specific domains like food and bus tickets; Amazon launched its flagship event Amazon-Prime Day exclusive for Prime Members on July 10, 2017.
- Amazon Prime Video – Amazon Prime includes access to PrimeVideo which has more than 10,000 hours of Content including Movies, TV Shows & StandUp Comedies. PrimeVideo has also launched quite a few originals like Inside Edge, ChaCha Vidhayak Hain Hamaare, Lakhon Mein Ek, Pushpavali, Going Viral, Breathe, Comicstaan; Quite a few standup comedies like Haq Se Single, Dilli Se Hoon B*@!&#%D, Biswa Mast Aadmi, Kal Main Udega
- Kindle eBooks – Prime members get one eBook free* for every month and physical books* at Rs. 129 (when purchased through ‘Cloudtail India’ only). *(out of a selected list of books)
- Amazon Music – Ad-free streaming with unlimited offline downloads included in Amazon Prime subscription. Listen to songs in 10 languages and experience Alexa without buying an Alexa device.
- Extra discount on selected Subscriptions – Prime members also get an additional 30% discount on baby diapers along with exclusive discounts and recommendations.
Who would love this Monthly Subscription?
- For the NOT-SO-FREQUENT shopper – If you are not a frequent shopper at Amazon and want an item sooner, you can opt for one month of Amazon Prime instead of giving Rs. 100 for One-Day Delivery and Rs. 80 for Two-Day Delivery.
- Watch ‘THE’ Movie on PRIME VIDEO – If you currently don’t have a Prime Video Subscription and you want to Watch a movie/tv-series Online or Download Offline on Mobile, available exclusively on PrimeVideo, including an awesome and ever-expanding list of Amazon Originals. Some notable exclusives on Prime Video – Padmaavat, Tiger Zinda Hai, The Grand Tour (Remake of Top Gear), The Man in the High Castle, Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, Tumble Leaf, Goliath, Good Girls Revolt, Transparent, Hand Of God, The Man in the High Castle & Seinfeld, Dil Dhadakne Do, Shaandaar, Rock On, Talaash, Student of the Year and Fukrey
- Try Out AMAZON-MUSIC – You can try out Amazon Music, for Free! For those who usually listen to good Bollywood Songs & Honey Singh, this app stands fairly good in terms of annual subscription fee among its competitors; Listing out the best plans from the competitors – Apple Music – 190 per month for 6 users, Saavn – 120 per month, Gaana – 1050 per year, Google Play Music – 120 per month, Hungama Play – 99 per month, Wynk 29 to 120 per month, Jio Music – Free! & Spotify (Shush :P).
Do you want Amazon Prime for free?
- Airtel – Airtel postpaid & V-Fiber Broadband customers can get a free 1-year subscription of Amazon Prime service on downloading the Airtel TV app. This offer is available for Airtel postpaid customers with myInfinity plans price Rs. 499 and above and V-Fiber broadband users on plans priced above Rs. 1000
- For Vodafone RED Postpaid customers – 1 year Amazon Prime for RED Postpaid customers which start from Rs. 399 & 499 per month plan and 1year Amazon Prime and 2 months Netflix subscription with their 1299, 1999 & 2999 per month plans
- This is not valid in India – Degree level students and anyone who has an academic domain (e.g. .edu, .ac.uk) in their email address can get privileges, including discounts on Prime membership – Link
What are other competitors offering?
Though there are notable competitors to Amazon Prime, none of them competes in the gamut of offerings that Prime gives – Faster shipping, exclusive deals, PrimeVideo, PrimeMusic, free eBooks & PrimeNow. However for people who want to compare it with the alternatives in relevant fields, here are the options –
- Flipkart First – for 500 per year, but as of 2018, it is not available in all the cities and there is just discounted fast delivery instead of FREE faster delivery
- Netflix – 500 per month, other cheaper group plans are also available, Netflix has the best originals and a gamut of content for both Hollywood and Bollywood.
- Hotstar – 200 per month
How to cancel the monthly membership?
Mail will be sent two days in advance cancel your Paid Prime membership any time by visiting Your Account and adjusting your membership settings on Prime Central. If you cancel a monthly Prime membership, the membership fee will be refunded only if you have not made any eligible purchases or taken advantage any of the Prime benefits since your latest Prime membership charge.
Here is how the timeline for Amazon Prime Goes
- July 2016 – Amazon prime was launched in India at just Rs. 499 for an annual plan with 60-days free trial, initially offering only Fast Delivery options for free.
- December 2016 – PrimeVideo was launched and made available for free with Amazon Prime
- November 2017 – The yearly subscription fee was increased to 999 per year.
- July 2017 – The Prime Day Sale
- February 2018 – Amazon Music is launched and comes clubbed with Amazon Prime.
The monthly subscription for Amazon prime is particularly useful for users who just want to try out the Prime experience without losing 999 from their wallet. However, if you are a frequent online shopper, it’s a no-brainer to go for 999 yearly plan instead of giving 1548 for one year by taking monthly subscriptions. Now you know the whole scenario about Amazon Prime, it’s monthly plan, the offerings on the plate, its competitors and will it benefit you, it’s time to get addicted to Amazon, We know you will.